View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Not just disabled

My husband got a questionnaire from the District Court re jury duty, and one of the printed notes on the form said that "qualified individuals with disabilities have the same...obligation to serve as individuals without disabilities."

That makes perfect sense. I know a couple of people in wheelchairs, for example (due to injuries) who would make excellent jurors. They are not in pain, their minds are sharp, etc.

But it reminded me of a comment my daughter recently made that my granddaughter (college age) knows of course that I'm disabled but probably doesn't realize that I'm "sick".

In other words, she's aware that I have trouble getting around, that my balance is bad, that I use a cane and walker. But she's much less aware that I have other issues such as fatigue, muscle spasms, cognitive problems, bathroom issues, general malaise, and all of the other symptoms with which we struggle.

I don't know what my point is. Just thinking, that's all.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (05-21-2011), NurseNancy (05-22-2011), SallyC (05-21-2011)