View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
In Memorium

15 yr Member
In Memorium

15 yr Member
Default Hi Again

Home infusion (and in the hopsital) varies depending on the type and amount of medicine that the doctor prescribes - there are variables regarding the type you receive that the doctor will prescribe - and also the infusion rate usually is started very slowly, increased every 15 minutes for the first hour, the set at a single rate for the rest of the infusion... Dahlek had posted some websites about this - (sorry, my computer is just recovering from a breakdown and I lost most of my website info) - but everyone is different as far as length of infusion - speed and frequency, etc.... (for example, mine last 4 1/2 hours - some peoples only last two - my doc had me having them every Friday, then switched to every other Friday, others have them once a month...... they will monitor Alans blood counts, side affects etc, and see if there is any improvement also in determining what will take place going forward...

When they are done at home - you have your own little hospital pack - IV's, IV pump, etc. etc. and are delivered to your home by the agency.. the medicine usually arrives the day before mixed in the IV bag and goes straight into the fridge...... the nurse is sent out to watch only the patient and again, its much easier I think then in-patient.... (they are supposed to stay the whole time with the patient too - no running errands etc)

For those of us that IVIG works for - its usually a life-long process to try to stop progression of the nerve damage - and we're lucky to get the med..... I'll tell yai - right now my infusions are on hold while other testing is being done and my legs have not ached this bad ever - so it does help some of us! Hopefully Alan will be one it does....
BEGLET is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote