View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It's fascinating to read what Craig says, about how pain would interfere with the juror thinking and acting to the benefit of the court. I remember soon after my MS dx, nearly
a quarter of a century ago (maybe things changed?) I went to one of those national hookup
discussing groups for MS support groups with an "expert". The expert stated that people with MS do not as a rule have pain; his mother, with MS, had no pain.

The group was horrified. I can't remember the percentage who said they have significant
pain which they attribute to MS, probably it was around 88%. I can't recall that this
doctor showed any change in his view when he heard our statistic. I think we were a
fairly typical group; there was no one there who was radically disabled (beyond the wheelchair level, bedridden, etc.) The very fact that they were still "getting around"
probably meant they had more pain, due to the spasticity caused by the effort to move themselves and crutches and wheelchairs and automobiles. I had LOTS of pain. I was very mobile and looked fine. But had disabling neuro symptoms and was already on disability.

I regret not being able to participate in "life", even a jury trial. It's certainly not indifference which would keep me away.

Mariel
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (05-22-2011)