View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hang in there, it does get better

Hi All.

I would like to echo PCSLearner, sentiments. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. TBI's are incredibly difficult on the entire family - especially the mothers. We want to "fix" our kids but we can't.

My daughter concussion was during October of her freshman year, about a week before her 15th birthday. The headaches, fatigue and sleep issues were terrible. She had memory issues which began to improve around 4-5 months and she was able to work with a tutor to complete a couple of classes and attend afternoon classes at school a couple of days a week. The school was very accommodating, waived course she didn't really need (like health and PE), and gave her credit for the work she completed with the tutor. She was able to move forward with her class and repeat 2 classes (Spanish and Biology).

In the fall, she started back to school full-time. She was able to pick back up where she left off socially and academically. The first couple of months were a little challenging but by November, things were going pretty well. She took the PSAT and PLAN and scored well nationally and very well compared to her classmates (she attends a very rigorous all girls college prep school) and her grades are great too. Socially, she's back to the same level as before.

Athletically, my daughter doesn't play team sports by is an equestrian. Her horse has also been injured. He is almost completed with his rehab and they will both start back jumping in the next month or so. Not riding was very difficult for her and when she was allowed to ride her horse about 8 month into the process, it made a huge difference in her mood.

She still does struggle with headaches periodically and we have sleep issues as well. The major concussion related sleep issues resolved and now we are back to the issues we had pre-concussion. We are in the process of getting a sleep study done.

It's a long process that can't be rushed, so hang in there. We tried NUCA Chiropractor, Biofeedback, Neurofeedback, supplements, some medications but who really knows if any of it worked or just time did it's job. Advocate for your daughter and seek treatments that make sense to you. Trust your "mom" instincts, you know your child better than anyone else. Hang in there, it does get better.
nancys is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Concussed Scientist (05-25-2011)