View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I probably do a variation that I came up with just by playing around for what felt good for me with the ball.

I'll also slowly roll my upper body around on the ball to find other tight spots and let them stretch out. The way I use it is as a passive stretch, gravity and the ball do all the work.

Sometimes I lean head back onto ball and some times I hold it in line w/upper body.

What I have found is the pressure & curve of the ball against my upper back allows it to curve forward/upward and my head, shoulders, pecs to all loosen and relax.
It's like the opposite of how we normally use our body in life.
Helps to counteract that FHP (forward head posture) & FSP (forward shoulders posture)

On the foam roll - It was suggested by PT guy for me to use a small pillow under my head

I did start out long ago (2003) with Sharon Butlers TOS program so maybe many of you need to start with something like that before moving up to these types of activities.

If you try them & it doesn't work for you yet or feel good , then it is probably too much too soon.

Sharon starts you out with a gentle warm up torso twist , and her plan moves from head down & out to arms & hands.

Sorry I can't tell much more than that, her program's copyright and such.
Most libraries do have her book in the RSI section. The stretches & other info is in it but not laid out the same as her specific TOS program.