View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The Restoril (temazepam) is not necessarily the best for your condition. As a benzo, it can be causing much of your sleepiness. I was on Klonopin (clonazepam), another benzo and was switched to gabapentin (Neurontin). The gabapentin does not leave me sleepy during the day. It helps my body and mind get settled. I take 900 mgs an hour or two before bed.

Long term use of benzos can be problematic. There is some research that suggests it causes permanent changes/damage to the brain.

Emotional lability is a very common symptoms of PCS. It can be frustrating. The opposite (flat emotions) can also be a symptom of PCS. When the two combine, things can get weird.... Flat emotions until something triggers crying or anger.

Learning to recognize the triggers is important, especially the anger or outburst triggers. I can tell when an outburst is building and try to remove myself from the environment. Outbursts at your work could be a threat to your career.

Fortunately, Soma (carisoprodol) has a short half-life of about two hours. In some people it can last a bit longer. It should not be causing your sleepiness during the day or your shift. I have it for the occasional need. I can imagine how it can help with your back. Be cautious to sleep with good posture when using it. There is concern that an overly relaxed spine can be stressed if allowed to be in poor posture as could happen during sleep.

As one who has lived with shoulder and upper back problems for 12+ years, I know how good sleep posture can help. It takes practice to learn to sleep with good spinal alignment but it is worth it. Body pillows can be used to lay against in a way to help you stay in proper alignment while asleep. Adjustable beds and recliners can also help maintain better sleep posture.

You will need to experiment to find what works best for you.

Sweet dreams and my best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote