Thread: Munchausen
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenwings View Post
Hi Hubby with RSD--Well, Munchausen is DELIBERATELY and INTENTIONALLY FAKING of "feigning" illness for SECONDARY GAIN (in the context of the Insurance Companies), for MONEY.

Now, I am by no means an expert, but for an IME doc to "label" someone with the Pshychiatric Term of "Munchhausen"...FIRST, they need to be a QUALIFIED Psychiatrist or Psychologist; secondly, this Psych would have to administer the MMPI test... a MEDICAL MD CANNOT DIAGNOSIS PSCYCHIATRIC CONDITIONS--they may have a "suspicion", BUT, a COMPETENT MD would REFER the patient to a Psych for PROPER psychiatric diagnosis...(which includes conducting the appropriate TESTS)....

Who on EARTH is this IME???? Does your friend have an atty?? This IME needs to be DE_BUNKED PRONTO...

Certainly, with severe RSD and intractable PAIN, SOME patients may END UP having serious psych issues (SUICIDE comes to mind...) but psych conditions are NOT the CAUSE of RSD...I am not sure what studies are out there re Munchausen's and RSD--maybe some of the more experienced and knowledgeable contributors to this forum can steer you in the right direction.

OMG--my blood is boiling for what your friend is being subjected to.

Brokenwings

Ok - Not sure how much I can put here as far as legalities....BUT I can tell you that this Dr saw her for approx 30 minutes - was hired by insurance company - this dr has a 6 month internship in psych - whatever that means??? Otherwise in his "credits" has done PLENTY of w/c seminars, insurance company work, etc.... Asked her about past medical issues for about 25 minutes, examined her for current condition area of injury for less then 5 - was PAID approx $2000.00 for this visit from what I can figure....There were NO tests like the MMPI that you mentioned, nor any other "psych tests", but has written in a report that can and will be used in court and has diagnosed her with Munchausen.........

Oh and I should also mentioned - looked a little into this Docs history and apparently his main accusation towards people is them "faking" their conditions/injuries..........

HubbyWithRSD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote