Thread: Burn?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Glad to hear you got this checked.

I have done this kind of thing numerous times. Like you, I can't feel heat in my hands and arms. I did something similar a couple of weeks ago. I was frying up hamburgers (which I rarely do) and when I flipped them over hot grease splatter on my hand. All I felt was a slight sting and I kept cooking. Of course, it dawned on me that just because I only felt a slight sting, it was still burning my skin. I ran it under tepid water. I too blistered but I didn't go to the dr. It never crossed my mind as I knew it wasn't a 3rd degree burn - just 1st and 2nd. A 3rd degree burn will turn white or blackened and will usually cause a numb sensation. 1st degrees will cause redness. 2nd degrees will cause redness, swelling, blisters, and pain.

I am caution when cooking as, like I mentioned, I just don't feel the burns. I asked my neuro about it as I can feel pricks but not heat. It's a sensory thing and different pain receptors.

Honey is great for burns and they have done plenty of studies of putting it on patients with severe burns with great results. I usually put some on when I burn myself. I've been doing that for years since a plastic surgeon friend of mine told me about it. He worked with the burn patients at the hospital I worked at. I've been doing it ever since.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20649832
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
nemsmom (05-24-2011), SallyC (05-24-2011)