View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Vyvance Zoloft combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by NermsMom View Post
My ten-year-old son was diagnosed with ADD and started on Vyvanse 30 mg in November 2010. He was titrated up to 50 mg the end of March as it seemed like the 30 mg dose was no longer working. He had severe moods swings almost immediately, irritability, and depression. His doctor switched him to Strattera, which made him DEATHLY ill no matter what time of day he took or or whether or not he took it with food. I stopped it after a few days. The doc now put him back on Vyvanse 30 mg and said to watch for depression and irritability again. If I sense depression then I'm to start him on Zoloft. If this doesn't work, Doc wants to switch him altogether to Concerta. I have to say I'm NOT a big fan of medication, so the decision to medicate my ten-year-old at all was HUGE. I'd like to know if anyone has had the same issues with Vyvanse, and/or have also used Zoloft with it. And I'd love to hear your opinons on switching to Concerta. He does get horrible migraine headaches (hereditary) which he had even before we started the Vyvanse. Any stimulant will make the headaches worse, so he is also being treated with Topomax to try to control the migraines.
To all who have written on this topic......THANK YOU!!!! My 11 yr old son has been on Vyvance since Mid Feb 1st 20 mg then 30 now 40 at first we thought this was great we saw grades improve and a calm relaxed boy after about a month he was having severe anxiety so the Dr. put him on Zoloft 25 mg this was approx a month ago. For the past several weeks my son has been tormented with racing uncontrolable thoughts and images in his head that were making him terriblibly sick and guilt ridden we were thinking there were severe mental conditions developing. We removed the Zoloft thinking that was it. It continued same time every night for a couple of hours PURE TORTURE for our family and our son. Our worst nightmare seeing our beautiful boy go thru this horrible episode. It was the toughest decision to put him on medication in the first place, however this has been the worst experience of my life and I am sure it has been for my son. We were ready to take him to the ER then I saw these posts THANK YOU, we are not alone I will be taking him off the Vyvance as well although after speaking with the pharm they say this may send him into a major downward spiral I don't know how it could be any worse.........if anyone has any advise or can tell me what to expect and how long it will last I would truely appreciate it. GOD BLESS! THESE MEDS ARE HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!
Mom #1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote