View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks to all of you for the welcome and support, especially you MrsD for all the info. I'm still reading through it and have a few questions already but I want to wait till I go through it all to ask.

I have had some bloodwork, I guess you would call it the usual stuff, the doctor never did say what just that the results were normal. I have been tested for Lyme I think, at least that's what I thought they tested for because I went in for tic bites.

I suppose you could say I cut off my nose to spite my face beause I cut my ties with my family doctor and all of the others. Some I felt were patronizing and others, well.....I went to a physiatrist and the first thing out of his mouth was that narcotics don't work on nerve pain which was why I was still in pain and I would need an electrical stimulator implanted to be able to get relief. When I mentioned the family history he told me to stick out my tongue and then said "You don't have ALS. You don't have CMT either because you don't have high arches." The neurologist said it wasn't CMT because I don't have hammer toes. He said I had Carpal Tunnel and peroneal neuropathy, I want to say he mentioned something about axonal neuropathy. He did the NCS and EMG but no neuro exam except reflexes. Maybe I have this all wrong but shouldn't the priority be making an accurate diagnosis before offering treatment?

The numbness and tingling in my hands and forearms has been going on for decades. I first noticed my big toes being pulled upwards back in 95 and that is the earliest I can remember my feet hurting. Back in the late 80's early 90's I did a lot of work with some pretty strong chemicals and lead based inks but the doctor back then did a test for lead poisoning and it was negative. I'll fess up to being careless when it comes to solvents and pesticides at least until recently I was, now I wear gloves. The cervical diagnosis came about as a result of a fall. I'm always falling and I pull to the left when I walk. I used to joke about having Carpal Tunnel up to my shoulders and thought the pain in my feet came from the way I walked. Who knew it would get this bad? The tingling has now progressed up my right thigh.

I've done a bit of research on CMT and I really thought that was it from what I'd read. My son and now my great neice spent a good deal of their toddlerhood walking on their toes. My neice has to be told to put her feet down and walk flat. Everything fit but yet I can't even get a doctor to listen. When I asked about the cramps they did a test for potassium levels and when it cam back normal that was it. No follow up... no nothing. Maybe if I recorded myself screaming they might sit up and take notice. If the test is expensive I suppose I couldn't walk into the local urgent care center and ask them to run it can I? I went online to the MDA website and they have clinics but the woman I spoke to said I needed a referral.

I'm so frustrated and to be honest, I'm worn out. At times I want to say the heck with it and just try to deal with things the way they are. That attitude lasts until I go to bed and make the mistake of moving a leg or foot or toes. I'm afraid too that even if I do get a referral to Duke that they won't listen to me either and I'll have gotten my hopes up....again...for nothing.

I know I said thanks earlier but I'm going to say it again...Thanks. Just having someone to talk to that knows what I am dealing with helps.....
lupusmaximus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote