View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mel--

--response rates for IVIg vary greatly, individual to individual.

If Alan's neuropathy indeed has an autoimmune component, the antibodies in the IVIg basically attempt to "crowd out" the rogue antibodies that are attacking nerve. If there are enough of those rogues in there, and it is currently an "active" neuropathy--in other words, damage is continuing, and Alan's symptoms are not just from "past" attacks on nerves--he may notice a difference within hours to days. Most people don't report a complete cesssation of symptoms, but many notice a lessening. In some people, this may be more gradual--days to weeks. But in any case, if there is going to be a salutary effect from this therapy, I don't think it would be that long before you'd know it.

There are people who do not report benefits, or only report minimal ones, from this therapy, and such people may not have an autoimmune component to their neuropathy--or, they may have one but be in a remission phase. Many autoimmune diseases, including some neuropathies, seem to work on a "relapsing-remitting" pattern, with bursts of disease followed by periods of relative quiet. We've often referred to them as "flares". For some people, then, it seems the timing of the infusions is critical; you need to have one during a "flare" for maximum benefit.

Many people have reported that IVIg infusions have given relief, slowed the progression of, or even halted the advance of autoimmune syndromes, but like all treatments it doesn't work for everybody. I'm reasonably sure, though, that Alan will know relatively quickly if it's having an effect. And if it does, I bet it helps with the psoraisis, too.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote