Thread: Flying with RSD
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Rsd and flying

Having had RSD for many years, I avoid any air travel I can.
Ten years ago (not from flight) my feet were so swollen (top of feet swollen over end of toes)------both feet literally broke, I never stopped walking however--never will. Suppose I should never say never but am even walking now with both ACLs torn in half---docs go how? Partial tears take big athletes down screaming. Suppose it only speaks to how horrid RSD pain really is---may sound strange but I enjoy a few good bee or wasp stings
as are what I call distractions and with RSD, you know, we need distractions. I do not advocate other pain ---I am not a masochist.--------My current doc re--RSD advises no flying at all for me. I can hike, bike---but to merely get legs vertical, they turn blue, then almost black in 2 minutes. I can not stand still while a bag of popcorn pops, so just sitting in a plane is not good but it is the altitude, pressure changes that do me in. A flight from Austin to Houston or Dallas (little alt.) no harm, flying to NY--have thought large athletic calves may explode. I did last 2 trips (3-4 yrs ago) to NY wear high quality (expensive)
compression sox (hate using word hose for me!!) and did better. I arrived always 2 days early of an event, so could wear shoes etc. 10 yrs ago, went 18 mos w/o shoes, then found a pair of velcro closure size 18 flip flop--I barely got them velcroed. When all calmed down, my shoe size was 4 full sizes larger, was then a doc finally x-rayed as could not occur w.o breaking. 2 yrs later-fell off barn and really busted up rt foot, leg--broke back (8th vert I've broken in back + I've broken neck twice playing ball-c6-c7, later c4)----well past any pain meds in any amount I was quite enthused about hyperbaric therapy at first as lon thought pressure played big role (and if helps you--don't stop-whatever works, works) but it is not answer to RSD.
My doc did clinical trial using hyperbaric years ago, moved on. Sadly, unsure the few docs really working on this--do so together---share info. I've had 5 pm docs spec in RSD tell me the SCS was of no value unless mild case or very early on but am aware of those it helps---I did trial yrs ago and helped some until vertical, would make one moreso never want to move--and key is moving. I often overdo it, pay big price----may learn one day!! When beyond all pain meds available, I've not taken an asprin in 15 mos, I only use doc's elec meds-----nothing like a tens unit which does not penetrate first layer of skin--again if helps--use it----i hooked up to 4 once, turned all to max--asked if I had them on? PTS sent nuts as yes all were on--at max-i felt nothing. Docs Vecctor *3rd gen mach out now, extremely high voltage, size of small luggage, computer-it reaches the cns!! and of course, the sympathetic nervous system is part of our central nervous system. Last thing on flying-----in reading all the comments, appears those with RSD in arms have less problem flying than those with it in legs or of course full body.
God's blessings to all.
gramE (06-13-2011)