View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default 12 weeks post op ACDF

hi all,

I haven't posted anything in a while, thought I would give a bit of an update.

I am now 12 weeks post op from ACDF C5, C6, C7 with titanium plate and screws with cadaver bone. The first 2 months were pure hell!! I was in my hard cervical collar 24/7 for 8 1/2 weeks, that caused so many muscle spasms and extra pain. But since being out of my collar I've gained a lot more range of motion, completely off all narcotics, except for the odd percacet and muscle relaxer if I do too much.

My neck pain is much better, I still have pain of course, but it's definately better then it was before surgery. Still have tingling and numbness in my right hand (last two fingers), and still have pain in my right shoulder, but other than that I'm slowly gaining my strength and independance back.

I think part of my healing is due to the fact my doctor has given me so much time off work to heal and not strain myself. At first I thought 6 months was a lot, but I'm grateful now when I see how quickly I get sore when I drive too much or try to accomplish too much at home (housework is still a struggle). It's nice to have the summer off to heal and grow some bone! lol.... At my 8 week check up there was still no bone growth.

In summary, I'm glad I had the surgery, it was very rough and wouldn't want to have to do this again, but I feel I'm much better after having it done. So now I just need the nerves in my hand to heal. Would love to be able to go camping and hiking and all our outdoor sports soon, hoping in the next month or so to begin some more activities, still very limited on what I can do and not cause pain. But I'm coming along slow but sure.

Hope everyone else is doing well also.
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-30-2012)