View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I have some ideas.

The very first one is that you are low in magnesium. The spasms of clawing up... could be a sign of low magnesium, which around 70% of folks in US have.

You can choose oral supplements starting at 1/2 RDA ...here is my magnesium thread on choosing them:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread1138.html
(avoid magnesium oxide which is in many products, and is not useful and is basically only a laxative).

Or you can soak daily in some epsom salts, to see if that helps.
Or you can try the new CVS lotion (which I am using now quite successfully). A poster clued us in on this new product recently here.
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...new_crumb=true
I'd use the lotion on your lower legs front and back, and tops of the feet. You don't need to rub it into the toes, as the muscles that run your toes, are in the calf and instep.

When you go to the doctor I'd get tested for Vit D levels, and also magnesium and calcium levels. Spasming toes may indicate beginning issues with calcium/mag balance. When calcium is not balanced properly it tends to cause carpopedal spasms, which when severe will also get your ankle and wrists to spasm inwards eventually. I used to have "hammer toes" before I started my magnesium fix, and I don't have them anymore. Some shoes will aggravate this too forcing you to grip the ground when you walk and also should be considered.

Some rare conditions of the parathyroid glands (tumors mostly) will cause this too. But low Vit D will cause poor calcium balance and your toes may just be the beginning of something later that will be more severe.

There are dyskinesias that are centrally mediated in the brain, and are mostly derangements of dopamine. A neurologist is who you would consult for this, and an evaluation for Parkinson's or some other dystonia may be present. But the magnesium issue is far more common, and you can see yourself by using the lotion or epsom salts, if you get some relief. I'd leave the neurologist for later evaluation.

Get your Vit D tested and also your B12 at your regular doctor and bring the results here. Treatment from doctors today, remains problematic and they use antiquated lab ranges and less effective forms of the vitamins to treat with.
Anyone with neuropathy issues should have these two nutrients tested in the beginning. Much can be improved with them alone!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote