View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 02:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default amitriptyline/Elavil

I have been taking amitriptyline for two years now for post-concussional symptoms, particularly pain in the head.
I started at a dose of 25 mg, which was obviously too much because I was sleepy all the next day. So, I cut the dose down to 12.5mg which seemed to help with headaches, at least it took the sharpness out of the pain of them. It helped a bit with sleep, which was and still is a problem, but didn't make me so zonked the next day that I couldn't function at all.

I have tried to stop taking it on several occasions but always found that the pain is too much. I am assuming that this is because the drug is having an effect, rather than the pain being caused by withdrawal symptoms. I have been told that the drug isn't very addictive.

I have gradually been going to a lower dose. First I cut down to 10mg and now I am on 7.5 mg nightly.

I haven't been able to cut down any more. I tried only 5mg last night and I have had enough head pain today to make me think that I can't go down to this level.

My doctor told me that the drug does have a long half-life, but I seem to notice the effect of a lower dose within a day or so.

Anyway, everyone is different, but it is good to share experiences just in case it is useful to someone.

CS
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote