View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I don't know much about this drug other than what I have read.

Basically it is for hard to control patients. The weight loss is there but not huge.

From what I see, patients using this drug can reduce the doses of the insulin used. It is also possible to get low blood sugar attacks from this drug, so patients have to be prepared for that.

I don't think patient acceptance is high with it. I seem to recall it causes alot of nausea.
http://www.rxlist.com/symlin-drug.htm

None of the interventions we have for diabetes are "pleasant" IMO. The only thing one can really do is control food intake.
Controlling food intake?? That's the one thing this person is NOT able to do. I was in her house one time and she was cooking 18 lamb chops in a skillet. I said "oh are you having company?" she said 'No, I always cook like this".

That was 15 years ago.

I really think it's VERY hard to be able to do what I have done. Completely change my brain as to what I put in my body. I have done the studying (it helped of course that I was in the Accord program).

But if a person is only interested in cooking, The Food Channel and other such things, one will never change one's brain.

We have prescriptions thrown at us right and left. All to make money, all to keep us DEPENDENT on those prescriptions.

But in the cases of Type 2 and if it's weight related, and if one is determined to at least do all that one can do to keep one's blood sugar under control, well, I guess that is the best we can do. This is how I live my life.

You would not believe the number of people that I know with diabetes who look at me and say "how did you lose weight and how are you controlling your diabetes, and I simply tell them what I do and the answer is usually (and I really do hear this).

Their response is:

"Well, that would not work for me, and you can't prove that would work for me"

I always said "Who said you have to do what I do, you simply asked me a question and I told you what works for ME!!!!"

Happens every time.

It's getting to the point where I can't tell anyone my truthful blood sugar reading when I wake up. Let's say I am in the company of 3 diabetics and one says' "Melody, what was your blood sugar this morning"?

And god forbid I say 'it was 119" Now (between you and I)I know that it should really be close to 100 but I'll take 119 any day over 260.

So when I answer 119, they get a mad look on their face and they say "I KNEW you would say that", Because theirs was 127.

It's like a contest. Who the heck wants it to be a contest? It's not a contest. It's my LIFE we are talking about. It's THEIR life.

They are having a contest???

So from now on when I am asked I will say "Oh it was okay, and when they persist", I now say "I really can't remember, so I don't think it was that bad"

For some reason, that seems to satisfy them.

Good Grief

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote