View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
Hi Rich,

I'm sorry to hear that your mother in law is having such a hard time. I've had epilepsy for 39 yrs. and what's happening is to much electrical activity in the brain is firing up the neurons in your you mother in laws brain and this is triggering seizures (sz.) Also drinking alcoholic beverages will cause sz. like crazy and if a person doesn't take their AED's (Anti epileptic drugs) it will cause more sz. and lead to more brain damage making the sz. worse.
Your mother in law shouldn't be driving in NY the state law is a person is to go without a sz. for 1 yr. and have a Drs. written statement that it's safe to drive she's indangering herself and others by driving.
Your mother in law needs to go to a Epilepsy Center which are usually at university hospitals and see an epileptologist (Dr. specializing in epilepsy).
I will tell you that stress, lack of sleep and alcohol are the 3 main things that trigger sz. for a person. I find it strange how you mother in law can't remember anything for the day. Usually after a sz. a person is confused for a few seconds and tired but then things are fine. If I may ask have you noticed your mother in law asking the same questions over and over again in a short time? Also watch her checkbook or any other banking she does. I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't getting alzheimers. I've seen alzheimers run in my family and that can lead to sz. sometimes. What you are describing sounds like she may be in the beginning stages of alzheimers but I hope I am wrong. Get her on vitamin B12 once a day 1000 mcg. this should help her and you can buy it over the counter until she sees a Dr. Here's wishing you and your family only the best and May God Bless All of You!

Sue
Hey Sue, Thank you for your ideas, response,& kind words my mother-in-law is like my own mother and there are lots of people that are worried about her, some with medical background sugested alzeimers or dementia possible. The problem lays in getting her to believe she has a problem, her Dr. did an EEG and showed many mini sz, while even doing the thet and told her son that it was like a brain reset and she wouldn't remember events that happened in those few seconds and prescribed her an AED but she dosen't take it. However the other memory problems are something like who attended my father-in-laws funeral and how to operate simple things like phone and garage door opener etc...any suggestions on how to convince her she needs help!

Rich!!

PRIDE OF THE SETTING SUN; LAND OR SEA WE LIVE TO BE FREE
ridehard2208 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote