Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Ayna,

Try not to predict that Copaxone will not work with you please. I am highly allergic to many food and environmental and medicine products but Copaxone works for me. Do not make preconceived decisions based on the experiences of a few others. There are many, many people who have been taking Copaxone successful for ten years or more. I have taken it over three years total and I am very happy for what it has done for me.

Don't judge it by the first six months either, because if you're like me, you'll have pretty bad skin reactions until you become accustomed to the shots, locations and how to treat the day after, etc...

See your doctor and talk to the Shared Solutions nurses regarding injections once you start. Remember, "time is brain" and if you can hold off this disease, you will preserve function in brain and spine and those affect every move you make and every breath of life. Don't focus on the shot itself but the long term result.
Wiz is right! I too am highly sensitive to medications as well as being loaded down with allergies, but I did not have trouble with Copaxone either. I tolerated it very well. While I had a side effect, I did not realize it until my prescription ran out and I was off of it. I am thinking of trying LDN but if my new neuro believes that this would not be beneficial to me, I will go back on Copaxone. Of all the DMD's it is said to be the one of most tolerable as you do not get the fluish side effects. In the 5 years I was on it, I only had 3 bad post injection reaction. However, I knew what it was and knew it would pass. All three happened when I injected in my lower thigh area where there is little fat. Hitting those fatty areas is important and that's why I loved doing my stomach and hips the best. That's where all my fat is and I had less site reactions there too.

It does take a while to take effect but it does work, at least for me it did. After 1 year of serial flares, the flares lessened and so did the severity of them. Of note, my prescription ran out in December and not sure if it has anything to do with not being on the Copaxone, but I had a flare from hell after getting strep throat in the beginning of December. It could just be a coincidence but I am still struggling through that flare with all sorts of neurological stuff going on.

So, as Wiz said, don't be quick to judge it based on others experiences. It is worth a try and you may find that it actually helps you and calms things down.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (05-30-2011), Blessings2You (05-29-2011), Debbie D (05-29-2011), dmplaura (05-29-2011), Jules A (06-03-2011), Kitty (05-29-2011), SallyC (05-29-2011)