Thread: Mixing up words
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

jena,

As a speech pathologist, I am surprised you do not have a better understanding of the word finding struggles we have. Mine are definitely not an attention issue. I can struggle to find simple words or complicated words.

My neurologist suggested it is a gating problem deep inside the brain. The information flow does not make it down the correct maze of circuits.

Sometimes. like I said before, I can think the word but struggle to get it to my lips. It is like my lips do not know how to form the word. I can put together a very complex thought but not be able to find a single word to express that thought. It is like someone has shot holes in my vocabulary library. When I go to 'pull' the word from the library, it is not on the shelf

I will frequently use a word that starts with the same letter or even first few letters. For example, discover might come out as disconnect. This limitation causes me to speak in very simple terms.

The diffuse axonal injuries common to concussion are quite different than the focal injuries of a stroke or penetrating injury. The inconsistency of function can be simply humorous to outright devastating.

I have a repeated issue when I am under stress due to physical effort. Instead of a grunt or groan as I exert force, I will say 'ouch.' It is an involuntary response to the physical strain. When I actually hurt myself, I rarely say ouch. Go figure.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jinxicat9 (08-10-2011), roadrunner63 (05-30-2011)