Thread: White Rat ????
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 12:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Denial is a river in Egypt

Steffi, what you describe, if I understand correctly, is called "wearing off" before the next dose. The meds are just as effective--you don't habituate to them the way you do to an opiate or a pseduo-opiate such as dextromethorphan--but you have fewer brain cells. Remember the substantia nigra is 80% gone before we start showing "parkinsonism" symptoms. We have a progressive, degenerative brain disorder. If something is neuroprotective it stops or slows the progression, maybe a teensy bit, but so far nothing has been proven to be neuroprotective. Notice I say "proven," which means by science, not "thought to be," which would mean by individual observation, conjecture, and guessing amounting to pseudoscience. Of course a good diet gives you better chances at health, and exercise has been proven to slow progression of symptoms.

Spend as much as you like on fads. Just don't expect them to slow your PD. And if your meds are wearing off, tell your doctor. Sinemet is not toxic and may even be neuroprotective [Langston], but smoothness of delivery is important in avoiding motor complications such as dyskinesia. You may need Comtan or an agonist or one of the newe drugs to stretch out and smooth your current meds.

This is not my opinion, but a report of scientific knowledge to date. I welcome corrections.

Jaye
Jaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote