View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I try to get most of my vit/minerals through food. It's not always easy but I try. I try to each plenty of superfoods (spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, fish, etc.). But after studying my diet, I found that I consistently have a lower intake of some vitamins/nutrients. Potassium and vitamin E are my pitfalls. All the others vary.

I am going to ask my dr to do some blood tests on me to make sure I am not deficient and if so, supplement accordingly. Some times supplementing with something you have plenty of can cause problems too. However, certain medications can deplete vitamins and/or effect the absorption too. So even though we are eating the right amount, we can still be deficient based on medications we take. I am on Neurontin and it depletes vit/minerals (I can't remember which ones - I think B12 and magnesium). As you all know, magnesium is my new "kick." Many MSers are deficient in magnesium as well. I do much on the days that I use magnesium cream than on other days. Using it has been a such a blessing to me. (Thanks mrsD for all the information you have shared regarding this.)

There are plenty of articles on PubMed about antioxidants and MS. One article even mentions vitamin E (the one I consistently lack in my diet). I thought that was interesting and will be discussing that with my dr. too.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (05-31-2011), SallyC (05-31-2011)