Thread: Mixing up words
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 04:39 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I do a great amount of sleeping in a reclining chair. I get some of my best sleep that way. I need support under my left arm so the weight of my arm does not pull down on my shoulder.

I have also learned that I need the 'just right' combination of sheets and pajamas. Quality cotton is all I can sleep in. Synthetics do not have the same consistent feel. As you try to sleep, pay attention to all of the different sensations. Then, slowly work to remove or negate those sensations, either with fabrics or support or such.

I need minimal air space under the sheets/blankets. As a result, I have heavy afghans on top of me. My wife has only a simple sheet and blanket but I have tons on me. I also need my bed preheated to a normal sleep temp. We have electric mattress pads. i start it at 2 a hour before bed. then, turn it to 1 as I get in bed. No sensation of a cool bed. I get in my good position and will often wake up in the same position.

I would love an adjustable bed (medical style) but my wife does not want one. We have a semi-firm mattress with a pillow top plus a thick pillow top style mattress pad. The pillow tops make it so the bed seems to cradle the sleeper without having a saggy bed. And, we did not spend a fortune on our mattress set (High $400's)

It took some time to find the right combination but it was well worth it. The simple concept of resolving ALL of the sensations so the brain can relax made the difference. I used to wear velour gloves because my hands had some Carpal Tunnel symptoms. The soft gloves removed the tingling sensation.

The basic problem is due to the brain not being able to ignore the odd stimulations/sensations. So, they have to be addressed individually with other means. My gabapentin (Neurontin) helps my brain resolve the minor sensations that I cannot resolve otherwise.

btw, I have learned to use foam ear plugs recently because my wife has needed a humidifier on during the night. They usually fall out by the time I wake up but resolve the sounds so I can get too sleep.

I am not trying to say this is an easy task. I was paranoid to try to sleep for some time because of the problems I would experience. Now, I know how to prevent them in most cases.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 05-31-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote