View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I take certain supplements which work to help symptoms, or almost eliminate some.

With 800-1000 mg of Magnesium, prescribed a quarter century ago by a neuro, I have no jerks or spasms in my back or lower legs. Without, I have these spasms and jerks all night. When I went to the ER for an intestinal block, they kept me overnight, and I was without magnesium. i jerked and spasmed all night. They had no source of magnesium.

With 250 mg of non-flush niacin, I have eliminated the blind episodes I had. I used to get essentially blind for ten minutes (the first two times it was totally blind). I would recover after ten minutes but that wasn't fast enough for any doctor to observe it. Now
I may have a non-pain migraine once in a while, but no blindness. A chemist told me it opens the vessels.

I now have to be sure to take Calcium too for the leg jerks. I have taken that even before magnesium, but as I age I find I will get the jerks if I have forgotten the Calcium,
even though I take the magnesium. I take the two separately.

At one point I was having almost-jerks in my legs even with magnesium, and the chemist I know ( a friend) recommended 100 mg of B1. With this, I didn't even have the almost-jerks. As I age, will there be more things I need to stop it?

In my first bout of a-fib, five years ago, I was found to have low potassium. Taking 20 MEQ with my low dose propanalol mostly regulates that. Even in the hospital with my first bout of a-fib, which lasted hours until they got the potassium report back, I normalized soon after the potassium and did not have to be cardio-converted.

I take Lutein Eyes for eyes to avoid macular degeneration, which both parents had when they were 15 and 10 years younger than I am now. I do not have it.

My D3 level went up when I took D, but I have no proof that it helped anything. I was
very low at 15. It went up to 85% of normal, whatever that is (the doctor just gave me
the percentage). I avoid as much sun as possible due to having Porphyria. My sun avoidance didn't help my skin cancer until recently--no cancers now for 3 years. I used to have two a year--but I don't know if that could be related to having more D3, if D3 helps the skin? I only take 600-800 mg of D3 per day, fearing I might stir the Porphyria, because it reacts to hormones, and D is a hormone.

I used to have ridged nails, but since taking a gelatine product, only one tsp a day, that
has gone away and nails do not break.

I take a few more things, like a low dose Multiple Vitamin without Iron, but I don't have any proof that this does any good. The others have all been demonstrated to bring improvement.
Mariel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (06-01-2011)