Thread: Jobs
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Amyb20,
Hello. I think you are doing a great thing by continuing your education. I am in my late 40's (scary I know) and it took me 20 years to get my Bachelor's Degree...I was bound and determined. Due to life's circumstances (divorce, work, child) I could not go the routine learning of going to class to learn. I had looked into online classes and they are the best. You have to be very discliplined and have good time management skills but you can go online or do your homework at midnight in your jammies. If you live in a cold climate you can stay indoors and not have to drive to places. I know they are alot more expensive than the regular classes but it allowed me to stay home with my child and finish my education. There are many programs to help disabled people with their tuition costs so check out your local community college for online general education classes. You have to start somewhere. Unfortunately, I am unable to work at all (I have full-body rsd) but I try to read at night when my mind can focus. I have found that keeping your mind active is the most important thing with rsd. If you can read a good book it at least takes you out of the moment of pain and gets your mind to escape away from the pain. I also want to write a few different books someday but the main book being on living with chronic pain. I want to be able to help others on their journey. You are very young and need to look forward to your future...who knows by the time you finish school there may be a cure for rsd and then you can be cured and get a great job!! Keep positive and set your goals high!

I have heard of a job someone had working from home which was awesome. They read books into their computer for blind people. She worked an 8-hour day Monday thru Friday and was able to work the hours she wanted to work. Also, I've heard of paralegals doing research at home for lawyers. There are home-based jobs you just need to look but be very careful. Watch out for the ones that want money up front. You could also volunteer your services at a church. There are so many people hurting out there that need help. I saw a man last week at the scene of the tornadoes in MO with only one arm unloading a truck. It brought tears to my eyes. The news said he worked tirelessly for hours. So no matter how much or how little you can do just doing it will improve someone else's life as well as make you feel better too. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do. If you have any other questions please let me know.
Take care,
kathy d
kathy d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote