Thread: Diet delusions
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi MrsD, my daughter saw that Dr Oz show, and said how poorly Taubes was treated.
What can you expect though from a TV industry that depends on sponsors and can't risk upsetting the giants of the food industry, not to mention the so-called diet and nutrition experts.
There have been many similar exposures of this dietary mis-advice before, but they get no traction as the current juggernaut of dietary advice is just too large to confront with any success.

My wife and daughter tried the Atkins a few years ago and had good success, but found it unsustainable due to its restrictions.
I couldn't watch them eating bacon and eggs every day, and telling me that fat was good for losing weight. It just seemed so illogical.
So I can understand why this revelation about fat not being the bad guy but the good one is so hard to accept.
Yet we all know, I'm sure, that sugar rich and refined carb foods are bad in any quantity. They are just so much of our life that it's really hard to exclude them.
It's a mindset thing, like giving up smokes or alcohol.
We don't have any of those bad foods in the house, and so can't be tempted.
We still have treats for special occasions but even then look for less sugary options.
We are having great success using coconut oil as a replacement for other cooking oils.

I have been off my muesli breakfast for a few days now, but surprisingly I have dropped nearly 1kg-something I've been trying to do for quite a while after eating too many desserts on a holiday.
Early days I know but I'm very pleased. Will maintain a low carb diet from now on.
It's a shame that this post isn't drawing any comments-I wonder why that is?
And well done on the weight loss!!!

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (06-01-2011)