View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 03:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgeon View Post
Thanks for your post Nikki. I am really confused about the concept of "feeling like myself again" since my concussion in a ski accident on March 10th. I work full time and found that I can be fired for medical reasons after 120 days of job protection by law. I have been more than motivated to recouperate and have hired a team of Dr.'s and clinicians that specialize in brain injury and am taking a host of meds due to my fear of losing my job. I have been feeling better, but was shocked at the meeting of my experts that the neuropsycologist said that "we" will have to see what kind of person you become. When I began to cry he said that he hoped I didn't think that I would be the same person I was after going through an experience like this. I agree with him now as the trauma is more than I have had to deal with. I am learning new coping skills and ways to live my life without sports or physical excercise for now

What I do want to feel is healthy and energetic again that would be like I used to be. I don't care what kind of a person I become (not mean I hope) as long as I am rid of the sickening headaches, nasea, fatigue, confusion and lonliness.
Dear Sturgeon,

I am wondering if you heard my jaw hit the floor when I read that your neuropsychologist said that "we will have to see what kind of person you become"? The lack of compassion in that statement is horrible to say the least and his follow-up explanation was even worse. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. That is not helpful at all. Your doctor should be supportive and not bring you to tears.

Anyhow, it only half surprises me because many just don't get it. My daughter has PCS and it still amazes me to hear some of the things people say to me and her.

You have every reason to feel optomistic and to believe that you will return to the excercise, energy, and things that you love. It is still very soon after your accident and you are healing. Be kind and patient with yourself. You have been through a lot and your body is recovering. It will get better in time.
Tralee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kayley (07-17-2012), poetrymom (05-15-2013)