View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:00 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
hmmm ...
[A bruit is an audible vascular sound associated with turbulent blood flow. Although usually heard with the stethoscope, such sounds may occasionally also be palpated as a thrill. In the head and neck, these auscultatory sounds may originate in the heart (cardiac valvular murmurs radiating to the neck), the cervical arteries (carotid artery bruits), the cervical veins (cervical venous hum), or arteriovenous (AV) connections (intracranial AV malformations). These sounds may be normal, innocent findings (i.e., a venous hum in a child) or may point to underlying pathology (i.e., a carotid artery bruit caused by atherosclerotic stenosis in an adult). Head and neck bruits loom especially important today because physicians encounter arterial occlusive disease more frequently as a greater proportion of our population lives longer.]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK289/

Well clearly the Dr here is putting the MRA finding of a compressed subclavian artery together with the thrill and bam...not an innocent finding.

I've read that determining the severity of the situation by pressing on the thrill is art more than science. It's easy to misinterpret. Thus, the additional tests.

If anyone else had / has a bruit I'd be interested to here how this finding was linked to other TOS symptoms.

KY
kyoun1e is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote