View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I've been told that I may have MS...

As I have mentioned in my intro. post, I am a Sergeant in the Army and I am stationed at Ft. Bliss, TX.

Because I do not fully trust the Military Doctors here, I have come here in the hopes of getting some feedback/answers to my concerns from those that have experience with MS.

While there is quite a long story behind all of this, I will try not to bore you all too much with all the details.

This all started with me trying to overcome a foot injury that was keeping me from running. The therapists had told me that I could try to run again but that I should quit if I felt any pain. Everything was going along just fine and I was nearly able to run 2 miles in the amount of time that I need to in order to pass a fitness test then, all of a sudden, I got on my treadmill and didn't even make it a mile when my right leg "locked up" from my butt all the way down to my ankle. It was kind of like a cramp but not quite the same. At any rate, I had to fall backward onto my couch and sit for awhile before attempting to get up.

Needless to say, that incident scared the heck out of me. But my first thought was that, perhaps, I was dehydrated. So I rested over the weekend and drank lots of water and Gatorade. On Mon., I tried to run again with similar results then again on Wed. and they nearly had to carry me back to the Company area...YIKES.

After some visits with the doctor, they ordered an MRI on my lower back and my sacrum. The results were that I have arthritis and a bulging disk. But that did not explain the symptoms that I described above as well as having some fecal incontinence (Not severe, I just need to "wipe") when I walk or run. I also have lower back pain when I stand for longer than a few minutes.

The doctor that reviewed the results of the MRI and discussed my symptoms with me told me that I may have MS and has ordered an MRI of my brain, my dorsal spine and my cervical spine as well as a nerve and muscle test.

What really has me concerned now is that, naturally, I have been doing some research on MS and I realize that I have quite a few more symptoms that, until now, I had just attributed to getting old. Some of them are; rapid eye movement left to right, difficulty beginning urination, fatigue, random "stabbing" or sharp pains in my legs, constipation and leakage (described above), Loss of balance or dizzy spells, urine leakage (After I go...weird), memory loss and depression.

The MRI on my brain came back normal but the other MRI's show a ruptured disk at T7-T8 (I saw this in another thread and will discuss that issue there).

I understand that the symptoms I have mentioned could have other causes but, in light of the situation, the fact that I have them all together scares the heck out of me.

What do you think? I haven't been diagnosed yet but, from what I know so far, it isn't looking too good. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

SGT Bob
SGT Bob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
clarkstar (06-04-2011), Dejibo (06-04-2011), Kitty (06-04-2011), Lady (06-05-2011), TwoKidsTwoCats (06-05-2011)