View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Not necessarily too old...

I have recently added B12 to counteract the homocysteine levels we end with when levodopa metabolizes. This stuff, admittedly haven't looked that closely, has been linked to an increase in cardiovascular disease and problems. Just what we do not need.

I ran across this research on B2 but felt deflated when I saw that the authors were called out by their peers on really shoddy research design. In the end, this combo may benefit some of us. We do not know, nor likely never will from a clinical study/FDA standpoint because it is not patentable. I thought that the most interesting thing about all this was the exchange between the scientists over methodology. I give the author's kudos for making this point and for asking their detractors to come up with their own study instead of merely complaining.

From the journal: authors' response to criticism

Our inexpensive therapy (1) addresses the cause of PD and, rather than merely alleviating the symptoms (the major goal of the costly palliative treatments available), may provide partial disease regression even in the more advanced stages and, when administered to recent onset PD patients, may even lead to the asymptomatic state. In addition, nobody can register patent rights for riboflavin. Therefore, if properly considered by patients and colleagues, the confirmation of our results (allied to an early PD diagnosis and identification of predisposed subjects) may dramatically reduce the incidence of this disease, thereby alleviating the related burden on public and private health insurance systems. Ferraz and associates may best serve the interests of their questioning patients and colleagues by conducting their own study on this subject.

I have since reading this added B2 with the B12 but think I am taking too high a dosage of the B2...the study had patients taking 90 mg daily. I will say that since starting it I have more energy and when I have good PD days the are way better than usual as in I do not even notice meds and feel "normal". I also noted that I seemed to get a little more "on" time maybe up to half hour. Not great, but I'll take it.

Has anyone else tried this (including cutting out red meat)?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (06-04-2011)