View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I feel for your MIL, and I know you are concerned. She deserves to be able to enjoy her life as she chooses. To give it up and move in with relatives without exhausting all avenues of care first is a pity. However, I am concerned about her safety. That does not mean that she needs to give up her freedom. Who prescribed her seizure meds and what kind of doc is this? What are they and what kind of seizures does she have? I had seizures for more than 35 years before I learned of much better care that is available. It is also vey underutilized because most do not know of it, and the general neurologists will not tell their patients either out or ignorance or fear they will lose a patient. I encourage you to tell her to check into making an appointment with an Epileptologist ( Board Certified) at a Comprehensive Epilepsy Center. There are several in NY. This made all the difference in my Quality Of Life, and I got my life back! She deserves no less! Seizures get worse if not stopped. She is not too old for a change in QOL with the right care not by a long shot! Ask her to come here and read this! Tell her to ask her PCP to make the referral ( not the general neuro!!) to a Level 4 Comprehensve Epilepsy Center. I have included a link to the National Asociation of Epilepsy Centers that grades Centers based on their criteria. It also shows those in NY that are Level 4. Strong is one of those. Getting the Right care for her particular case is the very next thing to do. Ask her to come here! ALso read that post re the diets by DogtorJ. I have not lost consciousness in 12 years now, but i recognize and did experience the not knowing where I am and having probems getting myself back home. That was NOT dementia. That was the result of seizure activity or possibly the post ictal (after a seizure) resolution time. Better care is needed from one who treats only epilepsy and has done the Fellowship in Epilepsy, a board certified Epileptologist, NOT a general neurologist or her PCP!!! They do not have the tools needed. You can tell it is an area of passion for me. We all deserve the right proper care. I do want to stress strongly that no one here has any ability to suggest that she has any particular diagnosis sich as alzheimers! We are not physicians, and only a physician or Np can diagnose. To start thinking alzheimers instead of devoting all attention to seeking the correct care for her epilepsy short changes your MIL, and it is her QOL we are writing about and devoting our concern. Do not go there especially since alzheimers can only be diagnosed on autopsy! Before that, it is a guess! She deserves better than that! Tattoo

http://www.naeclocator.org/default.htm

http://www.naeclocator.org/locator/resultsall.asp Scroll to NY

Last edited by Tattoo2; 06-04-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: To add info
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ridehard2208 (06-06-2011)