View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellatum View Post
...I said, "Um, I have Graves disease but I also have myasthenia gravis and I'm taking Imuran and pyridostigmine but now I'm taking this tapazole too and I've never taken it before and oh yeah I take HCTZ too and could there be any interactions or is this new drug a problem for my condition?

And she said, "Nope, it should be fine."

What an amazing store of knowledge pharmacists have these days! But, just in case she didn't really know all of that just off the top of her head, I called my neurologist and discussed all of it with him. Then I googled Tapazole and found out that it actually is known to cause myasthenia gravis, but only if you're a cat, which I'm not, so that should be fine, too.

The moral of this story is, I guess, don't assume anyone knows anything. The endocrinologist knows nothing about MG. The neurologist doesn't want to talk about female hormones even though they affect my MG, because he's not an ob/gyn. And the ob/gyn was happy to talk about hormones and prescribe them, and that's how I ended up in the hospital for a week. So, the moral of the story is, I suppose, that I'm my own best--or only--advocate.

Abby
To the best of my knowledge there are case reports in humans not only cats. Its not a reason not to take it, but you should do that cautiously. eg-anything unusual stop it, and let your neurologist know about it.
And you are unfortunately right that one of the problems of modern medicine is fragmentation of care, and over sub-specialization.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote