View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default primary lateral sclerosis and dysarthria

Hi,
I have been fighting this neurological problem for 10 years now. I first noticed while working out with my husband that I would stumble. Little did I realize that I was about to go down a road that I never thought would happen to me. I have progressed from walking with a cane to a wheelchair when going out and a rollator in my home. I have fallen more times than I can count. One time ending up with a subdural hematoma, talk about fun, it was not. But to make matters even more of a challenge, I caught a very bad cold or virus about 3 years ago and over time have lost the ability to speak clearly. This condition is called dysarthria. I tell my husband it must be nice having a wife who can not speak. Through every thing a sense of humor is important. I try to get a good laugh every day. I also continue to work out. My husband had ballet bars installed in the basement and I use them to do squats, lunges, pushups, etc. I ride my stationary bike and lift weights. I am in charge of my body it is not in charge of me. Easier said then done I know.
So I say to everyone speak to your body tell it good things and be thankful for the things you can do.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (06-06-2011), Lady (06-08-2011), SallyC (06-09-2011)