View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

milesa7,

Your husband's CT's sound like they have good reason to be repeated. You husband suffered a severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Most of the questions about MRI's and CT's are in regards to mild TBI's, concussions, subtle brain injuries and such traumas that had limited LOC (loss of consciousness) if any LOC at all and rarely any hospitalization.

It sounds like you husband's doctor is being very thorough. You are both very fortunate to have a good doctor. As he progresses, you will likely hit the recovery wall where he will have Post Concussion Syndrome like symptoms. The recovery process will likely slow down as he starts to deal with the diffuse axonal injuries that tend to become more chronic than acute and life-threatening.

Remember the good times you had just before his accident. You can tell him about these times and build from them, especially if he is left with a flat emotional affect like many of us are.

There can be a big difference between someone who is behaving poorly due to their own choices and those who have behavioral struggles due to physiological problems. We can choose to reject the negative behaviors when we acknowledge that our damaged brain leaves us prone to poor behavior.

I struggle to understand this myself. Before my most recent injury, I would defend my poor behavior. Now, I accept that I behaved poorly, especially when it is a symptom of my PCS and ask forgiveness then try to avoid the behavior the next time. The triggers for poor behavior are usually the same as the triggers for the head aches and cognitive struggles. Now that I know how to recognize the PCS triggers, I can be more proactive at avoiding them and the poor behaviors that may result.

I hope this is making sense. If not, maybe someone else has this same experience and can explain it better.

My best to you all,

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote