View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I'll look after me after I get this man home. All this running back and forth every day, I'll be honest. I don't know how people do this on a daily basis.

The guy with the Alzheimers (he's 89) and he's in the bed across from Alan. His little wife (she must be in her late 80's) came over to us and we started talking. She's been taking care of her husband at home for 10 years.!!!! 10 years.!!! And he has had it very bad. But now he's at the end and she can't take him home so she doesn't know what to do. She doesn't own a home and she has money in the bank. I asked her. "didn't you move the money over the past 3 years, so you can put him on medicaid and get him in a facility (everybody around where I live, if they are over a certain age, puts the houses and money in the kids's hands and then the parents can get medicaid. It's the only way you can survive if you are, let's say over the age of 80 and become quite ill). It seems that the medicare system never thought of us as we become older.

They need to build more facilities to house us because our children certainly won't (I mean some might but many won't) and when the spouse can no longer care for you, where do you wind up? I'll tell you, after hearing all these stories, I think I'll join Alan at the gym and get even healthier.

The alternatives, as we get older, are not pretty.

And Brian, I do hope you are healing nicely.

Thanks for your kind words. I am taking care of myself this morning by taking a walk around the corner to dunkin donuts for their lovely breakfast sandwich and cup of coffee. I mean, I have to treat myself once in a while, right???

Seeing Alan this afternoon. He better not be flirting with any of the nurses.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote