View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Learning to reduce stress is a big challenge. There are big choices to be made in thoughts. Maybe some CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) would help. Accepting that you have a brain injury that limits your ability to endure stress can be the incentive to change thought patterns to lower your stress levels.

We are not allowed to discuss religion here but my signature says it all. "Be still" can also be translated "Cease striving." There are so many things we get upset or stressed about and think we need to fix or react to. Most will just pass if we let them. Learning to focus on the real needs you have, rest etc. without letting things get you anxious will go a long way in your healing.

over 30 years ago, I went to visit my parents on the east coast from the west coast. At the need of my visit, my mother commented how I arrived all wound up but by the time I left, I was a different person. This got me started thinking about how stress impacted me. I already knew it was not good. I started changing how I interacted with others and life in general.

It made a big difference. I have had to make adjustments to increase my stress avoidance and thoughts. It is amazing how not reacting to life's stresses improves one's life. And, the stressors resolved without my input. Or, at least, I noticed that my input would not have made a big difference. It would have just increased the stress load on my brain.

I am perplexed with the combo of meds you are on. The Effexor (an SNRI anti-depressant) sounds like it may have a beneficial effect but the trazadone (a tetra-cyclic anti-depressant) sounds a bit harsh, especially in combination.

What kind of sleep disturbance have you been experiencing?

I bet it is related to getting good blood flow/oxygen to your brain during sleep. Have you had a serious exam of your upper neck? Inflammation can cause changes in vertebral blood flow during sleep. This can directly effect your brain or it can cause breathing disturbances that create a serious sleep disturbance.

The Social Security office can provide Social Security Income. It is an automatic application when someone applies for Social Security Disability Income. You would be long off in your SSDI application but the SSI application does not have the same time requirements. It is designed to be a stop gap measure.

The combination of your PCS and training with autism and such may give you a much better understanding of the struggles of a misbehaving mind. The sensory overloads that are common to PCS will give you inside knowledge of some of the struggles of the autistic mind.

I hope I have tried to answer all of your questions. feel free to keep asking.

My best to you.
I completely agree about the stress stuff. I have always been a tad on the anxious side and have a huge issue with perfection, (have already had CBT for that, haha). However, once I get all my medical coverage set up, it might be a good idea to revisit that. Because I am absolutely terrified about not being my constantly busy, high acheiving self at the end of all this...

I'm doing okay with reading, if it's in the kindle because I don't have to turn pages, so I've downloaded a couple of books on acceptance and some spiritual stuff as well

As for meds, from age 14 (I'm 25 now), I've been on an SSRI of some sort for anxiety/minor depression. After a serious depressive episode two years ago I was put on Effexor. When I started to experience very bad agitation after this accident, my nuero sent me to my psychiatrist, who upped the dosage.

As for trazadone, I have had trouble with sleep since I was 16. Basically I have no trouble falling asleep. However, after an hour or two I'm up for a half hour... then asleep for a half hour or hour, then up for 2 hours, etc. I can't get into a deep enough sleep to stay asleep. I build up a tolerance from time to time and they've tried to find an alternative for when this happens. However ambien had the complete opposite effect (I was up for 3 days straight) and lunesta is not covered by my insurance. However, I have noticed a HUGE difference since the accident, I'm back to the same old problem even with 150mg of trazodone. I think a neck check would be a great idea. What kind of doctor would I go to?

I will apply for SSI tonight. I tried doing that kind of stuff this morning, but with all the different screens, my brain freaked out. My boyfriend is going to help me do that tonight.

As for sensory issues, it has REALLY opened my eyes and will change my practice of treatment. That is the one TRUE blessing I have experienced in all this.

I had an interesting interaction with my neurologist this morning that I am going to create as another post. However, your input on this matter would be greatly appreciated as well, as you have a lot of experience with this stuff!
SmilinEyesMs305 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote