View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Phrenic Nerve recovery - damage

Jan 2011 I had surgery to remove a cyst off my pericardium. Recovery was wonderful until 5 days later when I had difficulty breathing. The Sniff test confirmed that I have a Paralyzed Right Diaphragm. It did show slight movement though.
Its been 5 months, and I think the nerve is healing (perhaps over zealous thinking). I keep trying to lay on my back without having pain or pressure, and some days I can for short periods of time. This week I was able to lie on my back for 1/2 hour comfortably. After training my lungs again, my oxygen level is almost normal so breathing is only difficult with heavy exertion. I have shortness of breath on climbing stairs and bending over. My main problem is sleeping. I can only get 2-3 hrs at a time before I wake up. And I sleep on one side, then turn to the other side. I do have reflux and Hiatal hernia due to the pressure from the diaphragm. I am only 52 and was very active prior to this.

It is nice to know that there is a procedure that can get the nerve working again. I will wait at least 16 months after surgery to look into this, as I prefer to give my body the chance to heal naturally. If the healing does not happen, then I will look into this procedure.
KLRON is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote