View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 12:03 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Similar PD/sinemet story

My mom's condition has some similarities to what D0gma described.

About 3-4 years ago, my mom started showing classic signs of PD -- one of them being the bradykinesia along with the blank stare. She was diagnosed with PD and started with way too much Sinemet (600mg/day) ... she developed dyskinesia, then cut back to about 400mg/day ... still had dyskinesia, and now (on her own, not doctor's orders) has cut down to 100-150mg/day. She takes that dose to get a boost but then can get through the rest of the day at a lower energy and more slow motioned pace. I also feel like she has withdrawal symptoms every day ... when the 150mg dosage wears off after about 3-4 hours.

It seems to me that the slow motion-ness is PD, or at least Parkinsonian, because my mom had it before starting any medication.

D0gma, do you not think that your slow motion-ness is PD? What symptom(s) led to the initial PD diagnosis? Did you have slow-motioness/bradykinesia before starting on Sinemet?

Our goal with my Mom's treatment is to hopefully get her off Sinemet entirely. The fact that she takes such a low dose and is able to function without a continuous dosage gives me hope that we can try to kickstart her endogenous production of dopamine through natural supplementation like NADH, l-tyrosine ... and other precursors. I've heard some studies/cases where this has helped and others where it has not. I suspect that not everyone's root cause of PD is the same, so I think safe experimentation is the only way to find out on a case-by-case basis. I also worry that if she kept taking high (and increasing) doses of Sinemet or any l-dopa, her body would become completely dependent on external sourcing and it would become much more difficult to kickstart any endogenous production of dopamine.
nickvalo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote