View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixiedee View Post
I have been trying cycling at 80rpm recently - have managed the unimpressive total of 7 minutes so far and then I can't breathe and my legs go to jelly. Plus I find it spectacularly boring, but I am going to keep at it and see if I can at least increase my cardiovascular health.

Trixidee
Trixidee and Paula, I understand your frustration. I gave a class yesterday to the staff at Mill Creek and it was so hard to describe how mentally and physically difficult it often is to get on the bike, even when I know it is the best thing I can do for myself. Trixidee, your 7 minutes at 80 rpm is impressive. Are you wearing a heart rate monitor to know that you're keeping within 60-80% of your maximum heart rate? I keep lowering the resistance on the bike until I can go 80-90 rpm for the whole time. My heart rate gets in the right zone after about 5-7 minutes if I keep the resistance low. That seems to work for me. If I increase the resistance at the beginning, I get to the heart rate zone faster, but I've worn myself out a bit.

My 6 mo. old granddaughter is sleeping in the crib next to me. She and my grandson are my motivation.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote