View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Bob View Post
Can anyone tell me what the following means please?

"Disc extrusion at T7-T8 at the midline with both superior and inferior extension with mild thinning of the cord and mild myelomacia."

Thanks.
Bob,

A thoracic herniation is an exceedingly rare animal (0.5% of all hernations), you should go by a Lotto ticket!

All kidding aside, (I can say that, I had 4 thoracic herniations), it can be a real problem if there is cord compression and long track signs (your doc can explain that one). Hopefully that is not the case. The central canal is not wide at that level compared to the cord dimensions. Superior and inferior migration just means that the extruded fragment has moved up and down some from where it herniated.

I trust you have a good spine doc who can guide you through this. Epidural steroid injections after medrol dose pak is the mainstay. I suppose you could try spinal decompression therapy (conservative and benign) but it can be expensive. It is not a scam, rather usually an opportunistic financial boon for the practitioner administering it, but can be effective none the less. Surgery is a definative last resort in the thoracic spine as it is sort of a surgical "no man's land" for decompression with significant potential serious complications.

Good luck!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote