View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:56 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
Hi Rachel,

In the past there was a thoroughly researched post regarding the effectiveness of spinal cord stimulators and CRPS from a lang standing NT member (fmichael). When I saw your post I tried for two hours last night to find it without success.

I did, however, come across an abundance of posts regarding the horror stories of CRPS spreads caused by implantation of SCS, failure of leads and batteries, migrations of leads and batteries, new sources of CRPS at the incision site, and spread of CRPS due to failed SCS.

The most important section of fmichale's post was that in addition to the above mentioned issues, there was no research to demonstrate that SCS had any effect on slowing the progression of CRPS or long term benefits as regards pain relief.

I will continue to search for his post to bump it up.

I know that because of fmichael's post I challenged my pain management physician to provide me with research citations demonstrating the effectiveness of SCS for CRPS. Although I have reminded him at numerous appointments he has failed to produce them. I spent weeks reviewing research myself (although unfortunately I did not save any of it) before refusing to have a SCS implanted.

Twenty five years ago a dear friend had a treatment for CRPS that was, like the SCS today, very much in vogue, sympathectomy. The sympathectomy ignited a spread to the other side of his body, similar to the effect of sympathectomy on thousands of other CRPS patients. It took twenty years for the research to clearly demonstrate that sympathectomy was to CRPS what the Dodge Aspen was to Ralph Nadar.

At the risk of setting myself up for severe criticism I must caution you to do your own extensive research prior to making your decision.

I am guessing that the SCS sales reps that frequent my pain management doctor's office bearing staff lunches, fruit baskets, etc. is repeated throughout the country. I wonder how many of those reps bring solid research along with the plastic models of spinal cords for physicians to share with patients. Obviously my doctor only got the food and the plastic spinal cord.

The frightening thing about spinal cord stimulators and CRPS is that you are playing Russian Roulette.

If nothing else spend a few hours going back to the very first post on Neurotalk and just move forward and review any thread containing the word spinal cord stimulator.

Although a bit dated you could also touch base with my very first research site in my own journey, a doctor named Hooshmand who dedicated his life to treating CRPS patients. In addition to SCS info you will find other useful CRPS material.

Take care!!!!
I totally agree with you...when I went into the doctors office where I was to get the scs trial his office looked like I stepped into a Sprint or ATT store..It was crazy. Huge billboard like posters showing the latest and greatest scs equipment...I almost asked him if they had a app to start my car with it...When the doctor showed up all he talked about was the new Boston scientific with the new auto timer function to stop it after 20 minutes..I almost had to ask him if actually wanted to see my RSD infected leg...I actually did the trial with that hack....Oh and when he found out it didnt work on me his demeaner changed like a flip of a switch....He wanted nothing to do with me.....And actually blamed me for it not working.. Bad experience all around....Sooo if your in Fargo ND just PM me and I will give out the name of the quack...I know that its harder for the scs's to work on lower limb RSD...Thats just what Ive heard...Everyone IS different...After my experience I learned to do my homework when its come to doctors now.
krank is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ballerina (06-09-2011), fmichael (06-09-2011), SandyRI (06-09-2011)