View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Idealist - About the Tender Points

As you say, the tender points are a diagnostic tool. What they signify to me is a persistent, pervasive (all over the body) overcontraction of muscles. I am not familiar with using the tender points to diagnose fibromyalgia, so I can't say for sure, but it seems to me that these tender points are points near where various muscle groups attach to bone. If this is the case, then pain at these points can be caused by tight muscles with restricted range of motion such that normal activity causes stress at the attachment points. Fibromyalgia is not about the tender points, it is about tight muscles that will not lengthen to accomodate normal range of motion.

The million dollar question is what causes the tightening of these muscles? As I mentioned earlier in my thread, I am pursuing the idea that ischemia is involved in the involuntary tightening of muscles. So, I ask myself this question - is there something that can cause the tightening of arteries which causes ischemia which causes voluntary muscles to tighten and also causes pain. Apparently, fluoride can cause artery tissue to tighten:

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/cgi/co...tract/258/1/66

One person, Walt Stoll, believes that fibromyalgia has to do with being in a state of sympathetic nervous system dominance (severe chronic "bracing" he calls it), which causes the muscles to be chronically stressed. I don't believe that this is the cause of fibromyalgia, but sympathetic nervous system dominance for whatever reason, could be a part of the problem of fibromyalgia.
wasabi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote