View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post ATOS surgery -- How Are You Doing?

Folks,

My doc (first opinion) has recommended surgery due to a) MRA finding of subclavian artery compression, and b) the presence of a bruit. I'm getting 2nd and 3rd opinions here, but I'm preparing for the worst...maybe surgery in the fall.

I am a 43 year old male who is very fit and active. I'm probably in the upper percentiles in terms of fitness and strength for my age due to rigorous training. One of my biggest concerns is post operation, what will I be able to do physically? I also need to get a read on what I can do professionally. I'm a VP of marketing at my company with lots of responsibility. If I have to take a month of from work...not good.

In my case, a scalenectomy seems like the first order of business and then I'd imagine some kind of arterial work (that I've yet to research). Now, assuming that all goes well...

* ...how long are you pretty much disabled? I've heard that for at least 2-4 weeks you're in pretty bad shape. Healing and gaining range of motion seem key. Sound about right? Is it reasonable to be back at work in 2 weeks? At least via phone?

* ...what does PT look like in the early stages? Mostly a home program of stretching? Followed by strengthening of RC and back muscles?

* ...After say, two months, are you recovering? Becoming more active? Can you start strengthening activities?

* ...Long - term, for those of you who have months and years separating you from the date of your surgery, are you back to normal? Doing what you normally would do physically? I'm really concerned this is a "life changer" where I essentially have to give up a hobby.

Any feedback here would be great.

Thanks.

KY
kyoun1e is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote