View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I believe I and other have said before....

that getting IVIG IS SERIOUS STUFF, tho probably with less risk of severe reaction than Plasmapherisis. That serious stuff in way of reactions in outlined in MANY places on any brand of IVIG's 'patient info' sheet. I've memorized mine, to the point that when I DID have a serious reaction I'd notified the FDA, State Medical Board and my doc. My initial 'reaction' was changed after my complaints to a SERIOUS one. I believe it was due to a brand switch. I've had that and one 'unusual' reaction in the almost 3 years of monthly infusions. YOU HAVE TO MEMORIZE the signs and act quickly. Cardiac arrest or anaphalaptic shock are rare but have happened.

Web up page 8 of Gammunex at this site:
http://talecris-pi.info/inserts/gammunex.pdf For the whole realm of possible ADVERSE REACTIONS, there are a lot of them. ONE THING you must keep in mind is that IF he continues to use this stuff...NO FLU SHOTS Allowed-ATALL!, it could either make him real sick OR render the benefits of both the shots and infusions useless. This is NOT cheap stuff.
And YES, s/e's can appear or linger for several days after treatment. And they CAN be serious. This stuff isn't handed out willy-nilly nor lightly. Go read IGLiving magazine's back features from the beginning to now.

THAT is why Alan's getting infusions at first in the hospital is important. It could be that the resident doc wants to be there or around during the infusion process, to satisy himself that all is well. Bet Alan will sleep thru it all anyhow.

As for any benefits? I knew right away, for others it can take 3-8 rounds of infusions to show any improvement. It's like meds and their help or not.

Don't forget more muffins-so get busy! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote