View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default My glucose/insulin profile--

--is very similar. (As Mrs. D says, that kind of result is not all that uncommon, and usually indicates some degree of insulin resistance.)

My normal fasting glucose is around 90; but my fasting insulin is somewhat elevated. When I get a glucose tolerance tests--and I ask the scrip to be written for a 5-hour test, with blood draws for insulin and glucose at .5 hours intervals after the baseline draw--generally my glucose rises steadily for an hour to an hour and a half (though I've never had a rise to diabetic levels), followed soon after by a massive insulin spike, which drives my glucose level down into the 60's around two to two and a half hours. My insulin then normalizes, followed by a slow normalization in glucose as hour four to five comes around.

The interpretation is that in my case, it takes higher levels of insulin to keep my glucose within normal limits, but my system also "overreacts" to glucose challenge, and so drives my blood sugar down a bit further than it should. My tissues are apparently somewhat resistant to insulin effect (though I try to moderate this by building muscle and eating a Zone-type diet, among other things--and my situation regarding this has been stable for a decade plus.) Fortunately, I've never had appreciable hypoglycemic symptoms during this, though I wonder what would happen if I were active during this (one is supposed to have minimal physical activity during an glucose test).
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote