View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 02:08 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post Concussion Syndrome

It is very encouraging to realize that the experience I am having is in fact not unique to me and that there are many others who have similar testimonies to mine.

It is seven weeks since my injury at indoor soccer. Flying head first into the wooden surround wall having gone straight up and over the goalkeeper was not my purpose but such can be the nature of the beautiful game.

At first I did not realize how bad my injury was, although I was out for a few brief seconds I did not think much of it until I began to be seriously dizzy and foggy in mind. It took over a week for the injury to really kick in and left me light-headed and faint.

As a pastor, and preacher, I have never experienced anything quite like this in 19 years of ministry. It has truly been a humbling and profitable experience if not a little scary too.

I have experienced anxiety in ways I never knew existed. I have been fatigued at a level that is abnormal, and my toleration for light and noise has been reduced.

Thankfully the issues mentioned above have eased although I have relapsed with more intense dizziness, mild nausea and mild anxiousness over these past few days, mainly I think because I returned to exercise and exertion on the soccer field. I am determined to remain wise in how to handle this but also desire to face it and not allow it to define me. This is a very interesting challenge for someone who has been blessed with good health all of my life and who now is learning things about illness at a deeper level.

I am very thankful for the testimonies on this forum and desire to encourage whoever I can in our mutual battle with what is a reality and not an imaginary condition.

I do believe that we are fearfully and wonderfully made by our creator and in many ways finely tuned. Head trauma affects that fine tuning and the connection between our brain and soul (the seat of our affections and thoughts and will) is not fully understood by any of us, secular or religious. I am convinced that it is designed to humble us and realize that we cannot live this life in just in our own strength and that we need the mercy and grace of one who is bigger than ourselves. I am confident that in spite of what I am afflicted with in this experience God's grace is sufficient to see me through. I trust if you have not discovered that yet, you will.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bellbird (12-28-2019), DianeB (10-14-2015), JuliaBertha (07-28-2014), Mnielsen (03-20-2017), music-in-me (09-15-2013), NourishYourNoggin (12-23-2011), Paige an (10-13-2014), poetrymom (04-12-2013), ravenfly (12-08-2013), Renrah2014 (03-15-2014)