View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Hypothalamus

Hi Smiling Eyes,

The same thing happened to me as happened to you. I was completely stopped in a car and had another (larger) car shunt me from the back at speed.

I also experienced difficulties with temperature regulation, particularly in the first 48 hours after the collision - I was freezing one minute and boiling the next. This did settle down a lot, but I am sure that it could persist in some cases. The hypothalamus controls the body's core temperature and the hypothalamus is in the brain, so it could get damaged if your brain is injured. I, therefore, do not think that such symptoms are at all counterintuitive, and I am surprised that your neurologist seems to have given you the impression that such symptoms are imaginary. He is quite wrong there; they do have a cause.

Of course, there could be other causes so you would have to rule out things like an effect of medication, e.g. not letting you sweat adaquately; being overheated because you have put on weight. I do not know what sex or age you are, so I can suggest, hopefully without embarrassing you, that women of a certain age may experience hot flashes (or flushes, depending on where you come from).

Once other possible causes have been eliminated, then I would have thought that your neurologist should conclude that you temperature issues are due to damage caused by the collision. If he is not fulfilling your expectations of compentency in this regard, you may want to consider getting a second opinion. There is a lot of ignorance in this area.

Good luck.
Concussed Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilinEyesMs305 View Post
Hi Everyone- I am new to this forum, but unfortunately familiar with concussions and PCS.

I was in a bad car accident 3 months ago and experienced a bad concussion. (I was completely stopped, and the car behind me hit me doing 45 mph.) I also have experienced two other work related concussions in the past 2 years, (I work with highly aggressive special needs children.) Anyway, during my experiences with PCS after the accident, I would experience spikes in my perception of temperature. I had also experienced a back injury and was put on Prednisone for a month. My primary care Dr. attributed this issue with temperature as a side effect of the medication. It happened a few times off and on after I went off the Prednisone, but nothing too bad.

Against my neurologist's wishes, I returned to my job this week, so that they would not terminate my empolyment. The stress of my job has created a return of some symptoms, but they have not been too debilitating, so I'm trying to just push through.

However, I'm really struggling to adjust to the heat. It's been in the 80's and anytime I take the kids outside, within minutes I'm so hot I feel like I'm going to pass out... dizziness, ringing in ears, etc. (Both symptoms of my PCS). And it takes me FOREVER to get back to feeling normal, and requires ice packs on pressure points, sitting still, etc. (The same seems to be true when I'm in the air conditioning... I get really cold and can't get warm. Although I don't experience other symptoms.)

Is this normal as a symptom of PCS? I am talking with my neurologist on Monday due to the minor stuff resurfacing now that I'm back at work, so I plan on talking with him about this as well. If you experience this, how do you deal with it? How to you continue to try to lead a "normal" life?

Thanks in advance.... this whole experience has been very frustrating and I thought I was finally get back to my busy life, but this one setback is absolutely debilitating!
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote