View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 01:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 846725 View Post
my husband was put on neurotin because of chronic back pain. He was started at 100mg 3x a day for 1 week then increased to 200mg 3x a day.
At the end fo the 5th day he started with severe memory loss and reverting back to childish behavior and not knowing who family members were. I became concerned and Dr. stated take him off if this cotinues. At the end of the 3rd day on the 2oomg dosage 3x a day I called again be cause he was forgetting he could even use his rt hand and his walking became shuffled as a child learning how to walk. Dr. said to take him off . This has been 2 weeks and no improvement has been made. Will these side effects be permanant?
Hi 846725,

Your husband must go off the neurontin very slowly. Neurontin was only approved by the FDA for epilepsy so your husbands Dr. is illegally giving him the drug. They have done a lot of off market labeling with this drug. This is how I started taking it. I had a concussion and my Dr. gave it to me for headaches and from that point on my short term memory got worse, it increased my seizures, and it messed up my spelling not to mention looking at a person but not remembering their name. Tell your husband to slowly go off the drug and if he's seeing a neurosurgeon you might want to see a different Dr. and get a 2nd opinion. Tell your husband to start taking vitamin B12 1000 mcg. once a day along with perscription muscle relaxers. My husband had back surgery twice and this is what helped him. If your husband is using a cell phone tell him to stay off the phone because cell phones cause memory problems and personalilty probems also after using them a lot. It shrinks the hippocampus of a persons brain where the learning and memory are.
I would get to a different neurosurgeon and get a 2nd opionion if I were in your husbands place. Neurontin can be very hard on a person depending on their body chemistry and a lot more info. had been reported to the FDA about the drug and it's not good. I wish you and your husband the best of luck and May God Bless You both!

Sue
Porkette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote