Thread: dystonia?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dystonia is one of the most common movement disorders. It is a major symptom of over 50 diseases or disorders. Dystonia is not then statistically PD. PD is a small % of dystonia cases. What you have could be a myriad of things. I went in for Botox on a muscle spasm in my right hand and was dx with PD and was wrongly dx for 10 years.

I've had Botox for several things including migraines and wrinkles in my younger years. You do need to be careful esp. around the throat area since swallowing, vocal cords, etc can be a biggie to have go wrong. Generally it stays where they put it with some spreading but not huge spreading. I never had any affect away from my head or neck or other trigger point injection sights. To be sure you want to have someone VERY experienced if they are shooting near eyes, neck, mouth etc because of the effects you stated. I've not heard of it migrating to the bladder or other distal areas b/c that's not usually how it operates. It paralyzes muscles in close proximity fairly quickly and then is eliminated by the body. I had no trouble with it and great results in general.

I have heard of more bad results from friends with cosmetic procedures where MORE was used and less experienced docs. Usually neurologists have much more experience and use it for more isolated specific things. I do suggest getting online and checking out all docs to be sure they are board certified in whatever specialty (movement disorder etc) you have and that there are no complaints etc. Usually the state board website for docs has a lot of that info. yahoo and Google too. you often find some interesting comments on bad docs b/c people are motivated to post bad experiences b/c they don't want them repeated.

I had some of my neck muscles injected for migraines and had trouble holding my head up for a while until the other un-injected muscles got their strength built up and did the job. the doc was smart enough not to inject all of the muscles so that I could hold my head up. so there is some trade off but experience makes the difference.

Don't let them call it too soon. Ask ask ask. Best of Luck!
d0gma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote