View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graced View Post
Hi, Alice

Thank you for your reply. It just breaks my heart to hear of all that so many MGers go through--and are STILL going through. It's a nightmare at times anyway and to have a Dr. make it so much worse is just so frustrating is too nice a word. I have two wonderful Drs who work very closely together on me--my PCP and my Neurologist. It's very common when I see my PCP that he may call my Neurologist during the visit or use the computer to directly "speak" to him. They are in adjoining towns but are linked in the same system. I nothing but benefit from their relationship.

My PCP is going to discuss Fosamax next week with me. He said he has delayed this as long as he could. What I have read on the internet about Fosamax since scares me right to death. The side effects of it are scary and some would make the MG worse. I would appreciate any input you can give me regarding Fosamax! Yikes!

Thank you, Alice!
Grace
Unfortunately there is no black or white answer to your question. Like you say, there are certain risks involved with this treatment, but also risks with long term use of relatively high doses of steroids, without this treatment.

I think it is something you, your PCP and neurologist should discuss together, with a close follow-up on your response. It may also be a good idea to involve an expert in the field of osteoporosis, and check your current bone-density (if that was not done yet).

It is important to check your vitamin D levels and make sure that you receive enough calcium and other minerals in your diet. Also, if your condition allows, it is advisable to do weight bearing exercise. (bone tends to build in areas that are under the pressure of gravity).
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote