View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default been there, done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Therese View Post
My pwp recently had a problem getting Brand Sinemet. The Pharmacy was finally able to get it for her, but she was told that they had gotten as much as the "facility"had and gave it to her. She is now concerned that this will not be available to her when she needs to have the prescription renewed. She has tried the generic in the past, and it did not "work"nearly so well as the Brand. I am just wondering if any of you have had the same experience; or, is this just a temporary problem with getting Brand Sinemet? I can remember a very long time ago that this problem existed...read it here on the forum, but I thought that the situation had been remedied. I'd appreciate any feedback you may be able to provide to me...thank you...

Virginia Therese
VT, we went through this as well, this past spring. Our refill was partly refilled, and I was actually told it was no longer going to even be made! We, too, cannot take the generic as it does nothing for us. The pharmacist's suggestion was to contact every pharmacy in my area and get whatever inventory they had still on the shelf. We had to transfer the script to do that, but at least I got it filled, mostly....

A few weeks before those pills were going to run out, I contacted the pharmacy where we had the script transferred and although they could not givs us all the pills we needed, oddly, did have some. Go figure, it was too complicated to explain why they originally did not give me ALL of my remaining script but what do you do? I then called Costco where we originally fill stuff and they had the name brand in stock, and filled our next refill completely, no problem.

BUT, but but...just be aware that the new sinemet pills ARE different! The older ones we took were oval, and yellow, easy to tell apart from other pills. The new "improved" (HA) sinemet pills are a white circle, and about the same size as our azilect and mirapex! Why they did that I have no idea. Oh, and the new pills are not scored like the old ones were, so it is damn near impossible to split them in half without powder flying everywhere and the dosage getting messed up, it's not accurate at all but we ended up getting a pill splitter which works....kinda.

I would call every pharmacy in your area and if you have a Costco, try there. Also the other suggestions made here are good, and hopefully this will be resolved quickly. This is such a scary thing, to not be able to get pills you have to have, that I never even told my husband about the shortage because I knew he would panic and stress and his symptoms would go through the roof. Thank heavens it got resolved before I had to, such a huge blessing for us. Good luck to you as well.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote